Page 16 /
Page 16 /
This FAAST Review was meant to:
- Educate food animal producers on the safe and responsible use of livestock medicines to safeguard public health, animal health, and food safety; and
- Ensure that the antimicrobials we use in agriculture remain effective for years to come.
After this FAAST Review, you should now know:
- The differences between different types of microbes;
- How antimicrobials work and when to use them;
- The key roles and responsibilities of animal owners and producers.
- How to read and understand a drug label;
- The risks involved with the use of drugs in humans and animals;
- How to calculate a drug dosage;
- Why extra-label drug use is important;
- How to read and understand a veterinary prescription;
- The importance of withdrawal times, drug residues, and the impact of accidental treatments.
- How to administer injections properly;
- Proper handling, storage, and administration of livestock medicines to minimize risk of contamination.